Born Julius Pincas in 1885 in Bulgaria, he later adopted the name Jules Pascin under which all his paintings are known. Pascin studied in Vienna and Munich, and traveled and painted regularly in Paris and Berlin. Pascin came to the United States in 1914, and in 1920 became a US citizen. He returned later that year to Paris, often frequenting the Café du Dome and Montmartre, taking part in the bohemian artistic community, and drawing upon his group of friends, both male and female, as models for his figural works.
Pascin was a member of the Woodstock Art Association, and exhibited at the Whitney Museum of American Art, the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art, Salon d’Automne in Paris, Salons of America and the Art Institute of Chicago. His works are in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art, New York, the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art and the Detroit Institute of Art.