Born in Brussels, Belgium in 1904, Georges Schreiber studied in Belgium, at the Academies of Fine Art in Berlin and Düsseldorf at the Arts and Crafts School in Elberfeld, Germany and in London, Florence and Paris. Schreiber emigrated to New York in 1928 initially working as an illustrator contributing work to the New York Times and New York Post. By 1936, he was employed with the Works Project Administration: Federal Art Project. An inveterate traveler, Schreiber visited each of the 48 states over three years creating lithographs of American Regionalist imagery.
Schreiber later established a studio in New York and was represented by Brownwell-Lampson, ACA and Associated American Artists Galleries in New York and Stendhal Galleries in Los Angeles. In 1958, he joined the faculty of the New School for Social Research in New York and in 1964 was Artist-in-Residence at Northern Michigan University. He was a member of the Salons of America and Associated American Artists.
Schreiber exhibited at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Art Institute of Chicago, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Corcoran Gallery, Museum of Modern Art in New York and Whitney Museum of American Art, among others. His works are held in the permanent collections of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Brooklyn Museum, Museum of the City, New York, Montclair Art Museum, Library of Congress, White House Library, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Newark Museum of Art, Springfield Museum of Art, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Toledo Museum of Art, The Bibliothèque Nationale and the Museum of Tel Aviv.