George Zachary Constant
Born in Arahova, Greece in 1892, pioneering modernist painter and printmaker George Zachary Constant studied at Washington University in St. Louis under Charles Hawthorne and George Bellows, at the Art Institute of Chicago, and at the Dayton Art Institute. Constant exhibited at the Whitney Museum of American Art, Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Victoria and Albert Museum, Corcoran Gallery, Carnegie Institute, International, Museum of Modern Art and Brooklyn Museum of Art. He received the Purchase Prize from the Library of Congress in 1947 and was awarded the highest honor for achievement that the Greek government can bestow, the Phoenix Cross.
Constant taught at the Dayton Art Institute and founded and served as President of the Federation of Modern Painters and Sculptors. Constant’s works are held in the permanent collections of more than thirty-five museums, including the Metropolitan Museum of Art, National Portrait Gallery, Philadelphia Museum and Brooklyn Museum of Art. A book devoted to his work was published in 1961.